Monday, July 27, 2009

NZ Earthquakes


Earthquakes help shape NZ and are a constant threat in many parts of the country. The more we understand about what causes them, the more we can be prepared. About 14 000 earthquakes are recorded in and around NZ every year. Fortunately, most of them are too small for us to feel at the surface. However, many of us have felt the shake of an earthquake, and there are some big ones that have become part of NZ's history.
When? Where? How big? What happened?
23 January 1855 Waiarapa 8.2 Land raised in Wellington region
17 June 1929 Buller Sth Is 7.8 Much destruction in the Murchison area
3 February 1931 Hawkes Bay 7.8 Napier & Hastings badly damaged
2 March 1987 Edgecumbe 6.6 Much faulting and land sinking

1 comment:

KG said...

Hi Room 10 and Annie
I was home alone when the earthquake struck, it was pretty amazing. I remembered the drill about stop and drop, I crawled under the table and waited until it has stopped. The light above the bench was swinging and swaying and I heard some rather loud cracks near the sliding door. Luckly there was no damage, hard to believe! I know. A matter of minutes later I logged onto the earthquake site to find out more and to report what I felt but the site was overloaded and crashed. I wasn't the only one that had the same idea. Happy research about earthquakes, I look forward to catching up with your learning again soon. By the way I think you have asked some pretty outstanding questions about this topic.